1 Feb 2011

Feel The Pain

Stress affects different people in different ways.

As you may know, as an accountant, my busiest time of year is December/January when clients finally get round to giving us the info we need to complete their Tax Returns, the online filing deadline being 31st January. As the deadline approaches work gets more and more manic. This year was worse than most as folk don't want to think about the taxman on top of all the other shite the Government are currently landing on us, and so even the more efficient of clients were much later than normal.

Anyway, I always have 1st February off to recover, and usually the stress release factor does not kick in until two or three days later, so at least I can have a day off slobbing about in comfort. Not this time though.

My pressure valve blowing is usually followed by a migraine, which with me are not so bad, and within 24 hours I'm back to normal. In years gone by the release was always muscle seizure in the lower back, which takes a lot longer to get over. I thought I had beaten that particular manifestation with visits to the osteopath having done the trick, but last Friday I noticed a low level pain in the top of my left hip. It went away over the weekend, but on Monday (deadline day) it got slowly more and more intense, to the point that come 5 o'clock I could barely hobble home, getting spasms every so often that almost made me fall over. Last night was hell. I got about 4 hours sleep all told, as every time I had to turn over was bloody agony. Today is a little better, but I can't sit or stand for more than 10 minutes at a time otherwise I get shooting pains down the legs. So far I've resisted taking the as yet untouched elephant strength pain killers I was given when I had my finger operation last November but if tonight is anything like last night the bottle could well be cracked open.

Bloody annoying waste of a day off if you ask me! And there's no way I'll be going to the weekly piss up, err, sorry, pub quiz tonight. Bastard****~~~##

Tomorrow I have a morning hospital appointment with Jen at Hand Therapy (that reads all wrong...) to re-cast my still too wonky finger in a last ditch attempt to straighten it out, and unless I can't move at all I am determined to go. Could be interesting....

B reckons I need more exercise which is probably true, but I am a a lazy git and the idea of "exercise" fills me with....ennui! Having said that, I've got get up and hobble about a bit or I'll seize up completely. Ho-hum.

1 comment:

  1. You're a wuss. I went to the pub quiz with a slipped disc and mike goes every week with most of his brain missing!!!

    ReplyDelete