5 May 2011

MAKE SURE YOU VOTE TODAY!

Much as we will all delight in seeing the LDs get a good kicking in the FPTP council elections, is it not a tad ironic that if AV were in force they would end up with probably only slightly less council seats than they've got now?

Scotland and Wales use a mixture of FPTP and PR to elect their assemblies, and NI uses full proper PR, but none of them use AV - funny that..

I shall probably spoil my ballot with a 1 in Yes and a 2 in No, as I can't quite bring myself to vote No as their campaign hits new taste lows every day, and also for reasons many others have pointed out, but neither can I vote Yes for a system that is inherently crap and no better than FPTP.

I have never in my voting lifetime found a political decision so difficult to make, and I pride myself on a sharp political instinct. If only Clegg had insisted on the obvious question and not let himself be so dazzled by the bright lights of power that he settled on the worst possible referendum choice, one that heavily favours the increasingly reprehensible NO campaign. Sick babies and under-equipped soldiers - I ask you! It's an insult to one's intelligence.

During the past month or so I've wavered from Undecided to probably No to Undecided to definitely No, and now I'm back to Undecided again. This fence has been bloody uncomfortable, I can tell you! I've been up here so long I've creosoted the bugger twice. Alan Shearer would be proud.
..............................................................................................

As for the NBC election, in my ward we have a straight Con/Lab/LD/Green choice, and as all three main parties have made an utter mess of (not) running our town in the almost 30 years I've been here, it's Green for me all the way.
..............................................................................................

Whatever your views on my ramblings, make sure you vote today.

No comments:

Post a Comment