11 May 2011

Celebrate good times, come on....

Mike, away in Cornwall at the moment, who always picks far left to go with his political leanings, sent me a text before "The Quiz With Gravitas" last night intimating that the cash pot may be far or inside left, no change there then Mike. I replied that given the (current political) circumstances it could only be far right. From that moment...hang on I'll check my phone...20:01 precisely..the die was cast. I just knew that a) we would win, and b) it being my turn to pick out one of the five envelopes offered by our redoubtable quizmeister when we won, that I would pick far right and, lo, for there be the wad of cash, forsooth!

Now, the thing about instinct is that the moment you start to doubt your choice or feeling, you are are jiggered. At least half the time with me anyway, that's what happens. Not last night though. I never for one moment doubted we would win, and arriving at the Victoria Inn at our usual time we find the pub is packed, the lure of the £200 plus quiz prize bringing in some unfamiliar faces. Colin, who always gets there first normally bags our regular table but this time it had already been taken and we were consigned to a huddle round a table near the "facilities". My gut feeling was still there even in unfamiliar surroundings, absolutely no doubt, in fact it had got to the point where I didn't even begin to doubt why there was no doubt in my mind, if you know what I mean! I just knew.

The quiz went well for us, the mighty Team Squonk, as it had to with so much competition. A 10 out of 10 on the sport round for only the second time ever, and a 10 out of 10 on the picture round and some other decent scores led us to the music round. At this point we assumed, wrongly as it turned out, that the Bar Stars were our main rivals for the winners spot, as is normally the case. Like Mogwai Fear Satan, Squonk Fear Brian of said Bar Stars who has an encyclopedic knowledge of obscure pop music. We need not have worried, as the team to tie with us for the top spot at the end on 72 points out of 80 (I think, as for once I was not keeping track of the score, which in itself is a bit unusual pour moi) was Team Serene, who, when they have a full compliment as they did last night, are always a threat.

That meant a tie break question. Enter Captain Paula, who although she claims to have "lost the Middle Ages" still has a brain the size of a small but busy planet, and puts us to shame with her all encompassing general knowledge - don't get me started on University Challenge. She wrote down "1968" on a scrap of paper in answer to a question about when some sweet or other was first sold in the UK. At least I think that was the question, I wasn't really paying attention as even then I still had no doubt we would win. The answer was 1967, we were nearest, and lo it came to pass that we had vanquished and conquered the infidel...err, we won, like!

While quizmeister Phil was handing out the paltry £5 second prize (oh dear...;)) I was visualising the envelope on the far right. I walk up to Phil's table, and he gives the five envelopes to a quizee to his right to shuffle. I fix my eyes on one envelope as it is moved around, watch them all given back to Phil, who shuffles them again, still fixed on that envelope. I knew it was the winner. When he placed the envelopes in front of me and the one landed far right, that was it, I knew. I picked it, gave it to Phil to open, and...well it was inevitable really! Arms aloft, whoop-de-woo!

Walking back to our corner near the latrine trenches with a shit eating grin plastered across my ugly fizzog while being congratulated by the other regulars, was, I admit, quite fun! Phil Quiz later said he thought I looked nervous, didn't feel it, but I was a tad zoned out though!


"Look at my wad"

Until we spend it all on posh nosh that is!

£215! That's Two Hundred and Fifteen of your English pounds, yes siree! More than we have ever won in one go in over 305 years of pub quizzing. I am magnificent. And so are you.


"Waiter my good man, bring us some food and some drink, and then some more drink"

Always trust your instincts and banish self-doubt and hey presto, you're in the pink, or summat.
Hmmm...I could blow it all at Fontwell Races today, after all I'm feeling lucky....on the other hand, maybe not...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment