10 Dec 2010

Bend Me Shape Me (3)

Well, it's now just over three weeks since my operation to correct the Dupuytren's Contracture in my right index finger. After the second visit to the Hand Therapy department of my local hospital when the stitches were removed, I was given exercises to re-mobilise the operated finger. Strangely, after the cast came off my little finger was stiffer than the ring finger, but the exercises soon righted that small problem. I have to wear a thermoplastic moulded splint in bed overnight, and finger splints at intervals during the day to encourage the index finger to straighten out further, as it has been held in a bent position for so long the ligaments memorise the crooked position as normal, and require re-training.

Some before & after pictures...

Before...

After...

Before...

After...

Before

After...
Exercise will hopefully straighten it out even more.

Here's the finger splint...






..and the thermoplastic moulded splint for night wear...


Mmmmm...sexy!

..and finally the minimal scarring, which will reduce in time..

No comments:

Post a Comment