18 Nov 2010

Agitate!

This is an entry of mine on a BBC blog today about FIFA supposedly acting tough on corruption:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2010/11/fifa_act_tough_-_but_what_does.html#comments

I would say that the most damaging event for England's bid is yet to come. Forget the alleged Iberian/Qatar collusion. A week (or less) before the all important FIFA vote, the BBC Panorama program still plans to broadcast it's ill-timed program on alleged corruption at FIFA. This could well put paid to any remaining chance we have of hosting the World Cup in 2018.

The BBC will say the program is in the public interest. That it may well be, but why not wait until after the vote, how is "public interest" served by potentially putting the kibosh on our much awaited and overlong chance to be hosts?

I'm 50, so I can only dimly remember 1966, and I would like to see it here again before I get too old!

As a licence payer, I am sure I am not alone in asking the BBC to delay the program until after the vote. If you do not and we lose the vote, you will not be popular, to say the least. Think on BBC.

Yes, FIFA may well be one of the most closed and self-serving world organisations I can think of, but why does our press and media only seem to go after them when we are in the running to host the World Cup?

I found a Facebook petition page which I've already sent some of you an invitation to, but the more people spread the word, the better:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Petition-to-stop-Panorama-BBC-wrecking-Englands-2018-World-cup-bid/125216384205713

It may well make little difference, but it's better than sitting on your arse moaning....

No comments:

Post a Comment