15 Feb 2012

Cash trousered one way and another

Last night, the mighty Team Squonk won the eight week rollover jackpot at the pub, with little thanks due to my sieve-like brain, rescued at the eleventh hour by Phill recalling a Gallagher & Lyle tune and a chocolate themed tiebreak question. Mucho thanks though were sent my way, as once again I picked out the envelope bearing the legend "The Cashpot", a restaurant-enabling one hundred and forty of your English pounds. This is the second highest amount we have ever trousered, the largest being £220, also picked out by moi. When the jackpot is of a mere trifling amount and it's my turn for the envelope challenge, my record at picking the big envelope is no better than anyone else's, but give me a nice three-figure sum to sniff out and I'm in there as fast as a mate of Andrew Lansley can set up a health consultancy. I can smell the cash, and I'm comin' atcha....!

Unfortunately I have yet to find a way to transfer this Midas touch to the lottery....
...

Sad as it is for her family and friends no doubt, the death of Whitney Houston sees the passing of a singer, who along with Maria Carey was an early and prime exponent of that godawful syllable stretching warbling that could see a simple word like "you" last for half a bleedin' minute, wildly traversing up and down the scales like a caged songbird on crack.....hmmm, not too sure about that analogy. This sadly all too prevalent and cringe-inducing practice is, as I found out from a mate today, called "melisma", which sounds like either a wasting disease or a popular girl's name in Essex.

I also learned from the redoubtable Shippy, that because of the now inevitable burgeoning sales of the soundtrack to The Bodyguard down to that song, a musical hero from my yoof, one Nick Lowe, ex Brinsley Schwarz, and latterly producer and songwriter par excellence will also be quids in as it includes his marvellous song (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love And Understanding, originally written for the Brinsleys waaay back in the mid 70s. The royalties generated will allow Lowe to continue producing his wonderful vignettes of life and love, all thanks to the inexplicable popularity of melisma, bless her.
...

Bad taste link for today...

Luis Suarez to serenade Patrice Evra

Arf arf..
...

No comments:

Post a Comment