2 Jul 2011

BRCC - 1st Biannual Report

Formed out of a mutual love of spicy comestibles the BRCC was launched in February 2011 with a view to sampling the wares of the many curry houses here in Shoesville and its environs. At this point I would like to doff our collective titfers to our ancestors for taking control of Indian subcontinent from the Dutch and the French all those centuries ago, without whom etc etc!

Agenda Item 1 
Founding members Vicky (logistics, conviviality) and me (treasurer, grumpy old bloke) decided on our first venue. This initial outing in March saw B & I, Mike & Chris and Vicky descend on The Maharaja, which is situated on the main drag into town.

The treasurer, being a curry snob, found the food ok, but nothing to write home about, hence this belated review. I always judge an English "Indian" restaurant, the majority of which are not actually run by Indians by the way, on the standard of their Onion Bhajis. A simple starter you may think, but one that takes some time to prepare. In a busy eaterie they are often pre-prepared rather than freshly made as a result, and this was the case at The Maharaja. Can you now see why I refer to myself as a grumpy old git? :)

After the meal we retired chez moi and proceeded to demolish some fine single malt. We ended the evening somewhat slightly pished. A fine time was had by all.


Agenda Item 2
The second outing was last night's visit to Vicky's choice The Imli Lounge, a mere fifteen leisurely minutes' stroll from our street. A-carousing and a-chattering eight of us (as Item 1 plus Pete, Dave & Mary) arrived at this small but friendly restaurant and Dave's first impressions took a dive when his daughter Mary was served with a flat lemonade. Luckily, and as far as I know, this was the only service cock up of the night.

There were some curious items on the menu, including some Bangladeshi specials, which was a nice touch. There were also some duck dishes on offer, and there was even a venison section! Venison Tikka Masalla anyone? No, I don't think so! Although we didn't have a starter this time, my Garlic Chicken was fine, and everyone else enjoyed their grub. Vicky and I agreed that it was better than The Maharaja. Mike talked the hind legs off the camel in the corner, so it fell over. I'm sure he'll agree!

50% of the BRCC - Pete's doing that trick where you make your head disappear!


Again retiring chez moi, some booze was drunk, albeit at a pace that the GMC would approve of. I think we were all a bit tired after a hard week working like dogs or whatever! I think Vicky now knows what camera to buy....or not.

Agenda Item 3
The next outing is planned for early October, and it's Mike's turn to pick the venue. Get that thunking cap on matey!

I now throw open the meeting to floor - if anyone has anything to say, shout, or mumble, kindly use the Comments box. If there's nowt to say, then I declare the meeting closed.

1 comment:

  1. That must have been a very hot curry as it appears to have blown my head off! Pete

    ReplyDelete