1 Sept 2010

Ooh, There Goes Concorde Again..

This week has seen some glorious late summer sunshine, clear azure skies, and is a very welcome respite from August's incessant rain. Walking to work today looking up at about 60 degrees I could see a half moon in a cloudless blue sky. Absolutely gorgeous. Below and to the left of the moon I noticed a very bright object, nothing unusual, probably a plane. Keeping my eyes fixed on this while simultaneously avoiding getting run over (who says men can't multi-task?) it soon occurs to me that this bright object does not seem to be moving. Odd that, but I suppose it could have been a weather balloon or somesuch. Then both the moon and this sparkly thing are obscured from view by a line of buildings. When I reach a road junction, the vista opens up again, and there is the moon, but my mystery object has disappeared completely...deedee-deedee---deedee-deedee!

Decrying all logical explanation (yes I know there's plenty), there goes a UFO baby!

.............................................................................................

If you've ever used Amazon they will subsequently bombard you with emails containing all their latest offers, the majority of which I never check out, but today's was bargain cds which I always have a quick shufty at. As you may imagine there are thousands of titles and these have been helpfully sorted by genre, and then by sub-genre. Under Psychedelic Rock, a sub-genre of Rock, is Christmas With The Salvation Army by The Salvation Army Band & Choir! No, honestly. This hitherto little known psych masterpiece of lysergically assisted brainstorming wigout music contains all your fave Xmas raves such as O Come All Ye Faithfully Monged, Away In A Manger To Space, Oh Little Bong Of Bethlehem, Ding Dong Merrily & Get High. It can be yours for a mere £4.47!!

............................................................................................

A bit of school days nostalgia - this was posted by yours truly in the Comments section of a positive review of Hawkwind's In Search Of Space on our old friend Amazon:

Richard & gigidunnit - how I wish you two were in my 6th form common room waaaay back in the mid 70s! I can remember a music lesson we had where once a month we were allowed to bring in our own records for the listening pleasure of the rest of the class. When it was my turn I decided on (King Crimson's) Starless & Bible Black over (Van Der Graaf Generator's) Pawn Hearts (still both in my all time top ten albums), as I thought A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers might be a tad too much for our mild mannered music teacher. After side one of S&BB, only one mate voted to play the other side, while the rest of the musically moronic hordes drowned him out with boos! Those were the days my friend....

I think it was probably a case of "You can't out-weird me three eyes". I can certainly recall being quite chuffed at the number of boos my eclectic choice generated! Here's the Hawkwind review and its comments in full:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RCZY7YHYQPRI4/ref=cm_cr_rev_detup_redir?_encoding=UTF8&cdPage=2&asin=B00005MCX0&newContentNum=12&store=music&newContentID=MxONZV4NZFPDVS#Mx3ADM2DP3HS5P3

..............................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment