9 Aug 2010

It's no game (1 - revisited)

These were my predictions for the 2010/11 English Premier League from a few weeks ago:

http://toysoutofthepram.blogspot.com/2010/07/its-no-game_08.html

1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Arsenal
5. Spurs
6. Liverpool
7. Everton
8. Aston Villa
9. Birmingham
10 Sunderland
11. West Ham
12. Wolves
13. Stoke
14. Blackburn
15. Fulham
16. Wigan
17. Newcastle
18. West Brom
19. Bolton
20. Blackburn

I'm not about to change anything, but apart from the massive gamble on Man City, who could finish anywhere in the top 8, the one team I may have got completely wrong is my nemesis L****poo*.

Since I did my original predictions it's kind of inevitable that their mephistophelean pact has been invoked again!
There are potential new owners in the air threatening to write off their debt in one fell swoop, although it could all be spin to shake RBS off the scent for enough time for Waldorf & Statler to find new backers (he says more in hope than expectation).
Even more worryingly they have managed to hang on to their best players. Stevie G because he likes being a grossly overpaid big fish in a small pond a little too much, and lacks the bottle needed to take on a new challenge at this late stage in his career, and truth be told, who can blame him? Torres staying seems to be more due to a lack of funds at potential purchasers in Spain where he really wants to go - forget City, I think they have become a bit a of a joke amongst top flight professional footballers, but that will change when they start winning trophies. Mascherano may still go, but it's gone very quiet.
I'm prepared for the RS to do much better than I predicted, and boy that's depressing.....

Ending on a positive note, "the best little Spaniard we know" has committed his future to my club Everton by signing a 5 year contract, and that only leaves Peanut unsigned, as he has a year left on his current deal. If he goes so be it, we can use the funds to get Donovan. Even without Pienaar (or Donovan) we still have one of the best midfields in the PL and I'm hopeful that we can do a bit better than my prediction.

BRING IT ON!!!!!

PS - with the stunning news that Martin O'Neill has quit as Villa manager, my prediction of 8th for the Villans looks even more likely!
...................................................................................

Might as well do some guesswork on the other divisions:

Championship
Winners - Cardiff, Promoted - QPR, Play-Off - Ipswich (beating Leeds Utd in the final)

League 1
Promoted - Peterborough & Sheff Weds, Play-Off - absolutely no idea!

League 2
Promoted - Rotherham, Crewe, Gillingham, Play-Off - again, not a clue. I do know that the Cobblers will probably struggle, with maybe an outside chance of a play-off place. Will be a very tight division where every team is capable of beating every other team.

Conference aka Blue Square Premier
Winners - AFC Wimbledon (and I hope MK Dons get relegated from L1 - unlikely I know!). Play-Off - one of Rushden & Diamonds, Kettering, Luton or Boston Utd!

No comments:

Post a Comment